What To Do About Asbestos in Your Home

FiDi Skim Coating over Popcorn Ceiling — Paintworks & Decorating

Asbestos is a mineral that is found in rocks as thin fibers. Its versatility and fire-resistant properties made it a popular material for making household goods, such as oven mitts, and construction materials, such as insulation, at one point. Unfortunately, if inhaled, asbestos can build up in the lungs and put you at risk for cancer and respiratory illnesses.

If your house was built more recently than the 1970s, you probably don’t have to worry about asbestos. However, if your house is older and you find asbestos, here is what you should do.

Don’t Attempt To Remove It Yourself

Your first instinct may be to get the asbestos out of your house as soon as possible. However, as long as it is stable, it poses little threat, whereas attempts to remove it could release fibers that you could inhale. Call for professional asbestos removal Saint James NY for help with removal and alert the appropriate authorities as well.

Seek Medical Attention

If you had limited exposure on a one-time basis, your chances of adverse medical effects are probably low. However, if the asbestos has been in your house for a long time, you may have been breathing in fibers for years, which is when problems are more likely to arise. If you think you may have been exposed to asbestos, you can go to a doctor at your convenience for toxic exposure testing even if you don’t have symptoms. If you do have symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

Stay Away and Warn Others

Your chances of avoiding exposure are better if you leave the asbestos alone and don’t disturb it. Keep everyone in the household away, especially young children and pets. They may unknowingly stir it up, and the effects of asbestos exposure may be worse for them.

The most important thing to do when dealing with asbestos is to stay calm. If you panic, you could increase the risk of exposure.